Monday, June 28, 2010

The Future of Theory

by Jean-Michel Rabate

An intense introduction, focusing on the impact of literary theory and postmodernist stances for the production of different types of scholarship. It’s very wide ranging, but manages it in a productive way, touching at and tying together a lot of different areas, and giving a solid first ground to the uses of theory in studying in different departments and contexts. The top compliment I’ll give to this book is that it taught me a lot, including about areas I thought I was fairly well versed in. The second is that Rabate’s book, like all good academic literature, provided me with a new list of very interessting-sounding readings to further expand my knowledge. First rate.

Better than: Women in Nazi Germany by Jill Stephenson
Worse than: Gender and the Politics of History by Joan Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment